Join the official Discord channel for the Education Symposium
Scottish Games Week 2022
On Tuesday 25th of October, the inaugural Education Symposium takes place at CodeBase in Edinburgh.
The symposium will bring together educators, stakeholders and students from across the games-related education and academic landscape in Scotland for the first time. The goal is simple: we want to make Scotland the best place in the world to learn about games – designing, developing, publishing, running, applying – and more.
This will be a unique event, which will focus on understanding the key challenges facing the games-related courses in colleges and universities across Scotland. We would like you to be part of it.
Our aims for the session include:
- improving and strengthening the pathways and talent pipeline into games creation, publishing and beyond
- grow and maintain the network of games educators in Scotland
- consider future events for the education sector
- consider the key successes and challenges facing the games sector in Scotland
- identify gaps, opportunities for collaboration, and next steps to create actionable outcomes
We are building a day of practical, hands-on sessions, which will enable every participant to contribute, to give their perspective on the educational landscape and ensure we can bring your experience and expertise to bear.
*subject to change*
9:30 – 10:00 – Check in & Coffee
10:00 – 10:10 Opening – Brian Baglow, Founder, Scottish Games Week
10:15 – 10:30 – Welcome, housekeeping & hellos – Julie Drybrough & Claire-Marie Boggiano
10:30 – Opening/ Worldwide Perspective
10:50 – Cabadaich*
- Industry (TBC)
- University (William Huber)
- College ( Amanda Ford)
- School (Emma Liston)
- Tech Ecosystem (Brian Baglow)
*Cabadaich is the Scots Gaelic word for chat/ an informal conversation.
These are short, pecha-kucha inspired presentations – 20 slides, 20 second each – designed to give context for the day.
11:30 Coffee Break
11:45 – 12:30 – Sensemaking & Capture
(groups – what are you hearing? What surprises you? What themes need more discussion? )
12:30 - 1:30 Lunch
1:30 – welcome back – Brian Baglow
1:40 – 2:40 – Open Space conversations*
1 hour. 4 hosted conversations running concurrently. Hosts will be briefed, prior to 25th October
Participants are invited to move between conversations. Emphasis on following areas:
- Identify stories of great practice.
- Identify missed opportunities and gaps.
- Identify opportunities to collaborate
- Future skills/ Improving pipeline
- Design & Production – Host TBC
- Art, Animation, Writing, Music – Host TBC
- Programming/ Engineering & Game Tech – Host
- Capstone/ GameJams – Host : Dr Amanda Ford
- Future Skills/Speculative Game Ed – Host Brian Baglow
2:40 – 3:15 – Feedback from the Hosts
*Our hope is the data & Ideas from the Open Space can be gathered for a White Paper identifying what is working well & What needs to be done differently across the ecosystem in Scotland to support the talent pipeline
3:15 - 3:30 - Coffee
3:30 -4:15 – Panel/Fishbowl/ Discussion & Audience Q&A
4:15 – 4:45 – Next Steps, Commitment Wall & Close